Calgary Influential Women in Business Awards
January 29, 2020
Women in Business Awards
The Calgary Influential Women in Business Awards recognize business leaders in Calgary across eight award categories.
CALGARY – January 29, 2020 – Axis Connect and the Calgary Chamber of Commerce are pleased to announce the honourees of the inaugural Calgary Influential Women in Business (CIWB) Awards. Shining a spotlight on influential business leaders in Calgary, these recipients will be recognized and celebrated at the CIWB Awards Gala on Thursday, March 5, 2020.
“The number and calibre of nominations in our inaugural year was incredible,” says Heather Culbert, Board Vice Chair, Export Development Canada. “There are so many incredible and influential women in Calgary that our selection committee had the daunting challenge of choosing seven inspiring women and a distinguished male champion. Congratulations to all the winners and a huge thank you to the members of the Selection Committee for their time and commitment to this process.”
Nominations from organizations and individuals across Calgary were submitted for consideration in the following categories: Social Enterprise, Entrepreneur, Emerging Leader, Professional Services, Small and Medium Enterprise, Large Enterprise, Lifetime Achievement and Male Champion. Honourees were chosen based on their professional accomplishments, influence, and business community involvement. Nominations were reviewed and selected by a committee of esteemed business executives including, Rona Ambrose, Ed Sims, CEO, WestJet Airlines; Mick Dilger, CEO, Pembina Pipelines; Celine Gerson, President, Schlumberger Canada; and more.
The 2020 CIWB Award recipients are:
- Lifetime Achievement: Judy Fairburn, Co-Founder The51 and Board Director for MEG Energy, Tundra Oil & Gas,PureWeb,Veerum Inc., Calgary Economic Development, and Business Council of Alberta; former Chief Digital Officer and EVP, Business Innovation at Cenovus Energy
- Male Champion: John Osler, Partner, McCarthy Tetrault and Board Director, Calgary Economic Development
- Large Enterprise: Kerry O’Reilly Wilks, Chief Officer, Legal, Regulatory and External Affairs, TransAlta Corporation
- Professional Services: Jill Angevine, Managing Director, Palisade Capital and Board Director at Tourmaline Energy, Advantage Oil & Gas and Chinook Energy.
- Social Enterprise: Karen Young, President & CEO, United Way of Calgary & Area
- Entrepreneur: Breanne Everett, M.D., President, CEO and Co-Founder,OrpyxMedical Technologies Inc.
- Emerging Leader: Amanda Hamilton, Creative Director and Founder, Amanda Hamilton Interior Design and Palette Archives
- Small and Medium Enterprise: Milena Radakovic, President and Owner, Nexus Exhibits and Canadian Ambassador of Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Organization (WEDO)
These inspirational business leaders will be profiled in the March issue of Business in Calgary magazine. The CIWB Awards, hosted by Axis Connect and the Chamber of Commerce, will bring together more than 750 business leaders and guests at a gala dinner at the Hyatt Regency Calgary on Thursday, March 5, 2020. This celebratory evening, led by Deborah Yedlin, Chancellor of the University of Calgary, will recognize and commemorate these seven outstanding female business leaders and one male champion.
For more information about the Calgary Influential Women in Business Awards, or to purchase tickets to the CIWB Awards, please visit:
More information about the recipients and the full list of 2020 CIWB selection committee members are available upon request.
About Axis Connect Corp.
Axis Connect Corp is a non-profit in Calgary that was established to connect, collaborate and champion women in Calgary. Its mandate is to unite more than 80 organizations focused on women’s initiatives in Calgary.
About the Calgary Influential Women in Business (CIWB) Awards
The Calgary Influential Women in Business (CIWB) Awards recognize the incredible business leaders advancing women in Calgary. Honourees are chosen based on their professional accomplishments, influence and business community involvement. The CIWB Awards recognizes seven outstanding female business leaders and one male champion for women in Calgary and celebrates their accomplishments.
Brookline Public Relations